Wednesday, February 20, 2008

From the Kings Inn in Kingman:

So ... the last time I wrote was ... Oklahoma?

Well. Now I’m in Arizona. Beautiful Kingman, Arizona. Looks like it sprung up at the turn-off for Vegas from I-40 and eventually spawned a Wal-Mart Supercenter. On the TV there’s an episode of the Simpsons (the one where Homer and Mr. Burns are trapped in an avalanche), which I’m finding particularly hilarious. Like I found Cracker Barrel’s chicken and dumplings particularly delicious. 

Yum. 

Last night we stayed in Santa Fe. Luckily, even with skiers, February is definitely part of the city’s slow season. We got to stay at the Inn of the Governors, a fancy place with fireplaces and a heated outdoor pool. 

That was super. I’ve never floated in a pool and looked up at the stars in February. I could see Orion, and you know ... he’s my dog. 

Dawg?

We went out and got margaritas and green chile chicken enchiladas. Yeah. There was no one around, and it was cold, so it wasn’t a Santa Fe I’d seen before. Touristy area in winter. Go figure. 

And in the morning ... oh man ... my favorite meal of all time, huevos divorciados at the Plaza diner. As good as I remember, although I think they have new, non-Greek owners. And no sopapilla after. So that’s a big thumbs-down. But delicious, as always. 

We got our first (and only, dammit!) (knock on wood) winter driving today. In Arizona. Apparently it snows in the mountains, and maybe we shouldn’t have poo-pooed the giant signs that warned about winter road conditions. Whoops. 

But we made it here. We’re only a couple hours from Vegas, which is really exciting because we haven’t driven less than 8 hours since going from New York to Virginia. That was ... Sunday. Tomorrow we should get there about check-in time (Mandalay Bay, how swank) and start drinking. Presumably there’ll be a pool and general fabulousness involved. 

This may just be the kick in the ass I need. 

No comments: