Monday, February 18, 2008

From the center of Hell

Also known as Midwest City, Oklahoma, a Chili's surrounded by several hotels and a Wal-Mart Supercenter just outside Oklahoma City. It took us about 10 hours to get here from Nashville, and the 45 minutes we had to drive around looking for food was the longest part of the fucking day. So now I'm full (thank God for Waffle House), but still really tired and dirty.  And cranky, obviously. 
Spent last night in Nashville. We went to the Station Inn, this really cool bar that hosts a bluegrass jam Sunday nights. No cover, cheap beer, some pizza that I'm pretty sure was DiGiorno, and between 15 and 20 people playing every sort of stringed instrument out there. I fell in love with a girl playing the guitar. And also the waiter/cook, who was wearing denim overalls. So I love Nashville for getting me drunk and providing such a fabulous, fiddle-filled place to hang out. 
And here we are outside Oklahoma City, because it's halfway to Santa Fe. Arkansas and Oklahoma are two new states to add to my list ... even though I didn't see much of them, aside from gas stations and Christian signs. To wit: 
"You call it ABORTION. GOD calls it MURDER." and 
"'Does anybody really care?' 'I do ... Jesus!'"
Night, all. Next stops are, tentatively, Santa Fe, Vegas, Santa Barbara and San Francisco. 

No comments: