Saturday, February 23, 2008

From the Eye of the Storm

... or Cayucos, California. We're staying at a beachside motel for the night to let a big storm pass before driving up Route 1 to San Francisco. We have a little balcony overlooking the water and what should be a grand display of nature. 
Updates ... 
Vegas was a fabulously great time. CG managed to get us a room at the shiny golden Mandalay Bay, complete with passes to the spa. After soaking in hot tubs and watching the debate we got fancy, and went out. Much eating, drinking and gambling (more on CG's part than mine) ensued. I lost a little money when I became so enamored with a giant slot machine that I dumped $10 into it. I now have a big gold $1 coin only good at Mandalay Bay. So that was a good deal.
After some damn good (and much needed) eggs benedict we drove to Santa Barbara, avoiding all Friday afternoon LA traffic thanks to my navigation and CG's driving skills. We met Uncle Dave and Mel for sushi. Delicious. This is the second time that my first meal upon arriving on the coast has been sushi, and I think it will become tradition. 
Then we went back to their house and drank lots of red wine and talked politics. Today we all went out to lunch at a fabulous place called Freebirds in Isla Vista, where UCSB is. Made me wish I had gone to college out there. Then we went wine tasting at Roblar Winery. CG got along splendidly with the whole fam, and should be going down to visit soon. 
And now here we are in Cayucos. I'm feeling a little gross, probably from being hungover from wine this morning and promptly going wine-tasting. Smart. 
My mother sent me a picture of all the snow up in Connecticut, so I'm glad I'm not there. Even though 50 degrees in southern California is freezing, if you listen to anyone who lives here. Spoiled bastards. I sent her back a picture of my uncle and I, wine glasses in hand. 
I'm thinking I might extend my trip and pop into Portland, Oregon, before heading home. Why not, right?

No comments: