Tuesday, July 10, 2007

El Rancho .... do do do!

I am sitting next to Miss Himaras on a bed at the El Rancho motel in Williams, Arizona, just an hour away from the Grand Canyon.
Updates:
I finished the loneliest road in America. No accidents, tickets, etc., just a few scary moments going down the side of a mountain. The Bu doesn't like going downhill. While turning. With large angry black pickup trucks behind her.
But we made it.
The first thing I did in California was eat sushi. I had forgotten about it, out there in the heartland, so far from the coast. Delicious.
Then a stroke-inducing drive through the San Francisco Bay fog. My dear old roommate Kyndra failed to mention the terror of that road as she took off in the mist ... but made up for it with beer and a hot tub. Next afternoon, we went into the city. We drove past that bridge, and that crooked street. We parked near Union Square and snuck into the Westin's glass elevators to see the city from above. It took some clever manuevering around a well-placed security guard. This trip has otherwise been suspiciously devoid of sneaking/stealing/miscellaneous mischeivous behavior.
This will likely change.
We wandered Chinatown, North Beach and the Haight, where we met up with a fellow NU grad for Ethiopian food. Again, delicious. And my once-angry college friend seems to be ... happy ... on the West Coast. I hear it does that to people.
Then to Santa Barbara, to stay with my aunt and uncle and their poodle Ginger. What can I say? Family time, Mexican food, wine ... Eleni got in yesterday and we enjoyed happy hour (God love it) downtown. This morning we rode rented bikes up and down the beach, got more Mexican food (God fucking love it) and headed out on the road.
Got here in record time. Eleni drove! I was in the passenger seat! Holy balls!
Tomorrow, to that big ol' hole in the ground, and set to arrive in Santa Fe by nightfall.

No comments: